A mortgage is one of the biggest financial commitments you’ll ever make — and one you’ll likely be paying off for years. Finding a reputable lender and a loan that fits your needs is essential.
Before settling on a lender, it’s important to shop around for different loan programs and compare terms on mortgage rates, lender fees and closing time to find the best option. There are approximately 11,000 mortgage lenders in the United States, so to help you narrow the field, Money has selected the eight best mortgage lenders in America right now.
Our picks offer competitive interest rates and a range of loan products that cater to different needs. They also have simple mortgage pre-qualification, pre-approval and application processes and a strong customer satisfaction record.
Read on for our reviews of the best mortgage lenders in America.
Our Top Picks for Best Mortgage Lenders of September 2022
- Rocket Mortgage – Best Customer Service
- LendingTree – Best Marketplace
- Veterans United – Best Online Lender for Military Members
- Better Mortgage – Best for Fast Closing Time
- Guild Mortgage – Best for First-Time Homebuyers
- Navy Federal – Best In-person Lender for Military Members
- Caliber Home Loans – Best for Self-Employed Individuals
- Bank of America – Best National Bank
Best Mortgage Lender Reviews
- First-time homebuyers can pay as little as 3% down
- Best in customer satisfaction in J.D. Power study
- Representatives are available every day of the week
- No home equity loans or home equity lines of credit are available
Why we chose this company: Rocket Mortgage, formerly known as Quicken Loans, stands out for its quality of customer experience. Customers in all 50 states can fully process their loan online but are also able to speak with one of the company’s 3,000+ mortgage bankers 24/7.
Moreover, Rocket services 99% of the mortgages it originates instead of handing customers off to another company as is the industry norm. This means customers get consistent support from start to finish.
Don’t just take our word for it: Rocket ranked second in customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Primary Mortgage Origination Satisfaction Study.
Rocket is the largest retail lender in the country by loan volume, offering a variety of mortgage options, including conventional mortgages, FHA, VA and jumbo loans. In addition to the usual 15- and 30-year mortgage term lengths, the lender offers flexible terms between eight and 29 years through its unique YOURgage program.
Finally, if you’re looking for a low down payment, Rocket has options — some loans allow first-time homebuyers to put as little as 3% down.
Why we chose this company: LendingTree’s large network of lenders and straightforward quote comparison process make it our pick for the best marketplace.